Quintessential Turkish dolma: stuffed bell peppers with cinnamon and pine nuts! You will find this dish in almost every household in the region. Accidentally vegan & gluten-free. You can also use eggplants or zucchini (fresh or dried) instead of the bell peppers.
Many people are likely familiar with a version of stuffed bell peppers. There are many recipes that use quinoa or bulgur to substitute rice, with different herbs and spices, as well as different cooking methods. This is the classic Turkish variety—found all over the country. Goes extremely well with plant-based yogurt on the side.
Ingredients for Stuffed Bell Peppers with Cinnamon and Pine Nuts
- 5 bell peppers, small-medium sized, any color
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 4 onions, diced
- ½ bunch dill, chopped
- 1 cup rice, medium-grain
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 ½ tablespoon currants
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt (for soaking the rice)
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the filling)
- 2 cups water
How to Make Quintessential Turkish Dolma
- Slice off the pepper caps with their stems and remove the ribs and seeds from the inside and the caps. Set aside.
- Soak the rice in hot water with salt for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside for the filling.
- In a medium-large sized pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the pine nuts and saute for one minute.
- Add the onions and saute for 8 minutes, mixing continuously until golden brown.
- Stir in the rice and saute for 5 more minutes. Add the allspice, cinnamon, currants, paprika, dried mint, and salt for the filling. Mix to combine and saute for a few more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the dill.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the filling and arrange them in a large pot, sealed with the stems on top.
- Add water and olive oil. Cook on low heat, with the lid on, until both the rice and the peppers are soft, about 1 hour.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Optional: Serve with plant-based yogurt to complete the feast.
this dolma recipe is:
- vegan / plant-based
- allergen-friendly & gluten-free
- full of flavor!
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments if you make this stuffed bell pepper recipe! Afiyet olsun (bon appetite)!Print