Looking for an easy tofu recipe? You may stop scrolling. Check out Fuchsia Dunlop's wonderful Taiwanese dish—ready in less than five minutes with only five ingredients.
I came across this recipe in Fuchsia Dunlop's wonderful cookbook: "Every Grain of Rice, Simple Chinese Home Cooking". It is so good, so quick, and SO underrated that I absolutely had to share it.
This is THE perfect savory snack: high in protein, plenty of healthy fats, full of flavor, and ready in less than a few minutes! I eat it on most busy days, take its ingredients with us on camping trips, and pretty much never ever tire of it. It's our avocado toast 2.0.
Ingredients for the Taiwanese Avocado Tofu
Ms. Dunlop recounts her first time enjoying the dish in a Taipei restaurant (name unknown) as she introduces the recipe in her book. The owner of the restaurant, Mr. Li, had done some extensive traveling which he claims has helped him in artfully marrying the ingredients of his dish:
- 350g firm silken tofu or regular soft tofu (12.3oz, or 1 regular block)
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ ripe avocado
- optional: wasabi paste (for an added kick)
- optional: sesame seeds (for topping)
Note: I have changed the quantities of some ingredients to what's worked better for us and added notes. I would highly recommend purchasing the book as it is full of other delicious plant-based recipes such as my favorite cucumber & wood ear mushroom salad or the easily-veganizable Dan Dan noodles.
How to Put Together this Easy Tofu Recipe
- Place the firm silken tofu, or regular soft tofu, into a shallow bowl or serving dish, then cut it into ¼in slices. Push down on one end of the sliced block so that the slices lean towards the opposite end.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the light soy sauce, water, sesame oil, and wasabi paste (optional). Pour the sauce over the tofu block.
- Top with half of a ripe avocado and sesame seeds.
- I would recommend consuming this dish within an hour of preparation.
this easy tofu recipe is:
- vegan / plant-based
- extremely quick
- super easy to make
- a great snack
- high in protein
- & delicious!
want other Aegean Delight recipes? start here:
- Raw vegan meatballs (the most popular Aegean Delight recipe!)
- Turkish Spinach Pie
- Stuffed Vine Leaves & Tart Cherry Stuffed Vine Leaves (my favorite!)
- Zucchini Fritters
- Semolina Cake (aka Sambali–from my hometown!)
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments if you make this recipe! Afiyet olsun (bon appetite)!Print