Looking for an easy tofu recipe? You may stop scrolling. Check out Fuchsia Dunlop’s wonderful Taiwanese dish—ready in less than five minutes with only five ingredients.
- 350g firm silken tofu or regular soft tofu (12.3oz, or 1 regular block)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- optional: wasabi paste (for an added kick)
- optional: sesame seeds (for topping)
- Place the firm silken tofu, or regular soft tofu, into a shallow bowl or serving dish, then cut it into 1/4in slices. Push down on one end of the sliced block so that the slices lean towards the opposite end.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the light soy sauce, water, sesame oil, and wasabi paste (optional). Pour the sauce over the tofu block.
- Top with half of a ripe avocado and sesame seeds.
- I would recommend consuming this dish within an hour of preparation.
I have changed the quantities of some ingredients to what’s worked better for us and added notes. I would highly recommend purchasing the book as it is full of other delicious plant-based recipes such as my favorite cucumber & wood ear mushroom salad or the easily-veganizable Dan Dan noodles.