This vegan clotted cream recipe is made with only 3 ingredients! Perfect for tea time with scones & jelly, or indulgent breakfasts. Watch how to make an even simpler version (Turkish) of clotted cream here in this video:
Few things are more comforting than tea time with some scones & clotted cream. I didn't have time to make scones this past weekend— but a slice of delicious Dave's Bread proved to be a decent substitute. Fresh figs did help a lot, of course.
Clotted cream was one of the very first things I recall having a harder time giving up. Meat? Not a problem. Eggs? Could live without. Cheeeese? *Scoffs*. Clotted cream? *Sad face* ... until I made this!
So if you are vegan or are trying to cut animal products from your diet here and there, worry not! I got you with this extremely easy recipe, requiring only three ingredients.
How to Make Vegan Clotted Cream
You will need the following:
- Coconut cream
- Dairy-free cream cheese
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Mix everything up with an electric or hand-mixer for a few minutes and that. is. it! Store in the fridge for up to five days in an airtight container to enjoy later in the week. How about on some toast with figs and pumpkin seeds?
In Turkey, clotted cream is not supposed to be sweet aside from the natural sugars from the dairy. Since it is usually consumed with dessert anyway, I don't think that adding sugar is crucial here. However, a little bit of it (like the 1 teaspoon in this recipe), does the trick to satisfy that extra sweet tooth.
If you would like to make this recipe gluten-free, nut-free, or soy-free, choose the dairy-free cream cheese accordingly. Any unflavored variety would work. I like the nut-based Kite Hill brand and the soy-based Trader Joe's one.
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments if you make this veganized English tea time classic! Skipping tea? Have it with my turmeric golden milk instead!
You can also save it for later on Pinterest, and keep in touch with me on Instagram, or by sending an email!Print
Clotted Cream Recipe (Vegan, GF, SF, NF Options)
- Total Time: 5 minutes
Clotted Cream Recipe - This vegan clotted cream recipe is made with only 3 ingredients! Perfect for tea time with scones & jelly, or indulgent breakfasts.
- ¼ cup coconut cream (or use cream from the top of canned coconut milk)
- ¼ cup dairy-free cream cheese* (unflavored such as Kite Hill, Trader Joe's, or Tofutti)
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until it looks fluffy. Add more sugar if desired.
- Serve alongside toast, banana bread, or scones.
- The clotted cream will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- *To make this recipe gluten-free, nut-free, or soy-free, choose the dairy-free cream cheese accordingly. Any unflavored variety would work. I like the nut-based Kite Hill brand and the soy-based Trader Joe's one.
- If you are attempting to make traditional Turkish clotted cream, cream cheese and sugar are not necessary. Refrigerate the coconut cream upside down overnight and skim the thickest portion off the top as shown in the video.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Whisk
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 1.6 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.3 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: clotted cream, vegan, coconut, cream cheese
Leave a Reply