This delicious antioxidant berry smoothie with amla powder is packed with amazing ingredients that go so well together that you won't even taste the bitter amla! You can watch how to make it in this video; the recipe starts at 1:06:
This is my favorite smoothie to bring along for hikes and beach days...it is so light and refreshing! Having zucchini instead of the usual banana as its base, this smoothie is also quite lower in calories—in case that is something that interests you.
Ingredients for the Antioxidant Berry Smoothie with Amla Powder
- 1 zucchini* (frozen preferred)
- 1.5 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 Indian gooseberries (dried amla, about 5g)
- 1 cup plant milk
- You may substitute the zucchini with a banana if you prefer a sweeter taste.
How to Make This Smoothie
- If using frozen zucchini, add it to the blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the plant milk if the blender is having trouble.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy. Scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Adjust flavors to taste if needed.
Why Amla Powder?
As I explain in the video, Indian gooseberry, or amla, is one of the most antioxidant-rich foods you could ever eat—think much higher than even blueberries. But why not have both in the same recipe? 🙂
Dr. Greger of nutritionfacts.org goes into detail about the wonders of this fruit, and I'd highly recommend purchasing whole Indian gooseberries online or at Indian grocery stores. It simply gives you the highest bang for your nutritional buck that I can think of.
Looking for Other Smoothie Recipes?
Try this immune-boosting green smoothie, or this decadent chocolate "shake" that I love having as a healthier dessert alternative.
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments if you make this recipe!Print