An easy and quick vegan pasta sauce recipe requiring only 5 main ingredients and 1 pot. Gluten-free and soy-free options included.
This is an easy week-night recipe for busy times. You can upgrade it to a more practical Bolognese sauce with a few substitutions as well. Enjoy!
Ingredients for the Recipe
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of vine-ripened tomato* (about 1500 grams. Choose D.O.P. San Marzano for premium quality, otherwise I like the Muir Glen and Pomi brands.)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: ½ cup vegan beef crumbs or cooked minced mushrooms
*For best results, choose canned tomatoes for sauce rather than fresh—unless you have access to fresh vine-ripened tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes at grocery stores are most commonly picked before they reach full ripeness. Buy whole peeled canned tomatoes for maximum flavor.
How to Make Pasta Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan then add the minced garlic, onions, oregano, bay leaf, and salt. Cook on medium-high for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir constantly until the mixture boils, then turn down to low-medium to simmer for about 1 hour, mixing every 5-10 minutes.
- Take out the bay leaf before serving. Mix with cooked vegan beef crumbs or cooked minced mushrooms for an easy Bolognese sauce.
- This red sauce will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for other easy recipes? Try these:
- Butternut squash & miso mac'n cheese
- Turkish rice with chickpeas
- Mediterranean kale salad
- Tahini roasted carrots
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments if you make this easy pasta sauce! Afiyet olsun (bon appetite)!Print