For the Crust:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz unsalted vegan butter, cold (I prefer Miyoko’s, or Earth Balance non-palm oil)
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups apple cider
- 4 tbsp cornstarch*
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 pounds of apples, peeled & sliced 1/4 inch (Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Braeburn— about 7 medium-sized apples in total for original recipe)
- 2 tbsp vegan milk (I prefer soy)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- To make the pie crust from scratch, whisk the flour with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut cold vegan butter into 1 inch cubes and smash the cubes flat.
- Add cold water and knead the mixture into a ball. Laminate the ball by rolling into a 12 inch square, and folding in half a few times. Use extra dusting flour as needed. Divide the block in half using a sharp knife. Chill for at least half an hour.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 13 inch disk (for 9 inch pie plate), using dusting flour to prevent sticking.
- Smear extra butter onto the pie plate to cover all surfaces, then thoroughly dust with flour. Place rolled out pie dough disk onto the pie plate and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Start preparing the filling by bringing the apple cider to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Keep boiling to reduce until only 1/2 cup is left (original recipe), this should take about 20 minutes. Cool reduced cider.
- Combine the cooled, reduced cider with the rest of the ingredients for the filling, except the apples. When the mixture is fully homogenous, add in the sliced apples.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush the top of the pie with soymilk. Mix sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle on top of the pie.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes until golden brown. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for another 30 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
- Let cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours before serving.
- For a juicier, loose pie, use 2 tbsp of cornstarch instead of 4.
Keywords: apple pie, vegan, crust, butter, cider, cinnamon, sugar, pumpkin spice