2 medium eggplants, cubed
350 g okra, or about 20 large pieces
3 Anaheim chiles (shishito or bell peppers will work better if you are avoiding extra spice)
3 medium tomatoes, diced (do not get rid of the juice or the seeds! they are the most flavorful parts of a tomato)
2 medium zucchinis, cubed
1 medium red onion, cubed (yellow or white would also work)
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon red pepper paste (spicy or regular, feel free to omit this ingredient use equal amount of tomato paste instead)
2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions, sweating them for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, stir fry for another minute, then add all the vegetables except tomato and mix for two more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper paste, and salt. Mix well, put on the lid, and let simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the hot water and cook on low heat without a lid until all vegetables are tender or to your liking. I like the eggplants quite soft so this step takes about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro and serve hot or cold. I love this dish with rice pilaf and ayran.
*Feel free to add any seasonal vegetables you like and play around with the recipe. I love adding potatoes, green beans, peas, and cooked chickpeas as well.