Try this delicious vegan Wellington with lentils & vegetables recipe for your next Holiday dinner or potluck! Easy to make, full of flavor & texture, allergy-friendly.
- 1 frozen sheet of vegan puff pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2/3 cup green lentils
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 2/3 cup walnuts, crushed
- 2 cups water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp soymilk (unsweetened, unflavored)
- sprigs of rosemary
- Thaw the puff pastry per package instructions.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil. Sautee the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes, until they soften.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the vegetable bouillon in a few tablespoons of water until fully dissolved, then add into the pan.
- Add in the lentils, cranberries, walnuts, water, salt, and pepper into the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once the lentil mixture is cool to the touch and the puff pastry is thawed, you may begin assembling the Wellington.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a level surface, then add the lentil mixture in the center. Tightly fold one side then the next, making sure they overlap. Tuck the top and bottom edges in. Turn it over to secure the sealed side. See visual guide above for clarification.
- Score the pastry then brush with vegan milk.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Vegan wellington is best when enjoyed fresh out the oven, but will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Make sure the pastry isn’t too warm when you assemble and place in the oven, or the butter inside will melt and you will lose some of the laminations.
- You may omit onion & garlic completely for a more traditional Wellington, however I love the flavor they bring to this recipe.
Keywords: wellington, vegan, lentils, walnuts, cranberries, holidays, christmas