This vegan tomato tart with a crunchy phyllo base is a perfect way to celebrate heirloom season! All you need for this dairy-free tart are everyday ingredients like tomatoes and almonds. It comes together in no time.
- 3 cups (315 grams) raw slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) table salt
- 1 1/2 cup (355 ml) water
- 10 sheets (125 grams) of phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3-4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Garnish: basil leaves
Make Almond Ricotta:
- Place all ricotta ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and repeat the process a few more times until you get a creamy consistency.
- Adjust acidity (more lemon juice) and salt levels to taste. Set aside.
Layer & Bake the Phyllo Base:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough onto a lined baking sheet and brush with 2 teaspoons of oil. Repeat with the remaining sheets and olive oil.
- Place all the ricotta onto the final phyllo sheet, leaving 1 inch empty on all sides. Then fold the sides inward. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30+ minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before assembling.
Place Toppings & Serve:
- Arrange the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with flaky salt and pepper, drizzle with more olive oil, and place basil leaves.
- Cut into triangles or squares and serve.
Storage — To save tomato tart, store slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in the oven (at 400°F for ~5 minutes) or on the stovetop in a skillet (on medium heat for ~5 minutes). You may reheat along with the raw tomato slices on top or remove before reheating and place them back on. If the tart is frozen, let it thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes and reheat at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
Pastry — Not a fan of phyllo pastry? No problem—swap with a layer of puff pastry instead. Simply roll out the puff pastry with a rolling pin to fit onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes.
Cheese — Want to make this more cheesy? Go ahead and add a layer of vegan shredded cheese halfway through baking the tart. Or add dollops of plant-based mozzarella right before serving.
Other Topping Options — You could also use mint, capers, olives, and Aleppo pepper as toppings as well.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Method: Bake