This vegan shakshuka recipe will make you look forward to Sunday brunch! Comforting and full of flavor with sauteed shishito peppers and onion, our elevated tofu scramble comes together within half an hour from start to finish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (about 1 small onion, ~120g)
- 1 cup shishito peppers, finely diced (see note 1, ~110g)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped and peeled (see note 2, ~200g)
- 1 block soft silken tofu (see note 3, ~400g)
- 1 tsp Urfa chili flakes (see note 4)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: 1/8 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- bread (to serve)
- Heat olive oil over low heat in a nonstick skillet or traditional sahan. When the oil is warm, add the onion, shishito peppers, Urfa chili flakes, and dried oregano, then stir.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook over low-medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the onions and peppers are softened, add the tomatoes and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Add in the tofu (or Just Egg scramble), and break it off. Season with regular salt or black salt and pepper one more time, and gently stir. Cook for another few minutes until the tofu gets warm (or longer if using Just Egg).
- If desired, add extra olive oil and chopped parsley to serve. This dish is usually enjoyed without utensils, using bread as a delicious vessel instead.
- You may also use Padron or Anaheim peppers if you don't mind the extra spice.
- I prefer using canned San Marzano tomatoes in the winter when there are no good fresh tomatoes available.
- 1 block is usually 14-16oz. You may also substitute with regular soft tofu, or Just Egg's vegan scramble.
- Urfa pepper is a smoky, incredibly delicious type of chili from Turkey that takes months to make. It is certainly a staple for Turkish cooking. I would highly recommend using Urfa biber in this dish; however, Aleppo or regular chili flakes in combination with smoked paprika would work as well.
- From a purely appearance perspective, the Just Egg scramble will look the most authentic as it can be left undisturbed to resemble individual poached eggs.