Vegan semolina cake with almonds is my version of a traditional Turkish recipe called “sambali”, or “sam tatlisi”. It is very easy to make with 5 total ingredients. Hands-on preparation for only 10 minutes! You will not regret baking this moist & rich Turkish delicacy.
For the Cake Batter:
- 1 cup plant milk (I used unsweetened, unflavored soy)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups semolina (coarse-ground is better)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- Optional glaze: 1 tablespoon molasses + 1 tablespoon water
For the Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Make the batter by mixing the cake batter ingredients except for blanched almonds. After mixing for about a minute or less, spread the batter onto a greased baking pan.
- Let the batter cool in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, peel the blanched almonds.
- Make the syrup by mixing sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan. You can also add the squeezed out half of the lemon for more flavor. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let it simmer 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- When the batter is cooled, cut the slices in any shape you wish, diamonds and triangles are very popular. Place a blanched almond on each slice. You may glaze it with molasses & water for a deeper color.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the batter until golden, about 20-30 minutes.
- When the cake is baked, slice from the same places you previously had, since some areas may have mixed together again.
- Evenly pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake. Let rest for 1-2 hours.
- Serve hot or cool, and preferably with vegan clotted cream for an extra traditional experience. This recipe will keep in the refridgerator for up to 5 days, I don’t recommend freezing.
- I used a 18″x13″ pan, go smaller for thicker slices or larger for thinner ones.
- For blanching, the almonds have to be raw. Do not blanch roasted almonds.
- You can buy coarse-ground semolina from Amazon or a local Middle Eastern/Turkish/Greek grocery store.
Keywords: semolina cake, vegan, dessert, turkish, traditional, almond