Making vegan labneh with soy yogurt is easy and simple. This Middle Eastern treasure can spice up your cheese boards and can be enjoyed as a quick snack with toast or rice cakes.
- 2 cups plant-based yogurt (or store-bought variety without any thickeners)
- Use two layers of cheesecloth and a mesh colander to strain—you can also use a linen napkin or pretty much any large enough piece of cotton fabric.
- Leave this in the fridge to separate the whey for about 48 hours. That's it! Delicious labneh cheese.
- Once ready, it will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- extra virgin olive oil, zaatar spice blend, and olives– with toast or pita on the side. It is so so good.
- mix it with crushed garlic and lemon juice for a dip
- salads & cooked greens (dollops of labneh & grilled peach on a bed of arugula... mm)
- alongside zucchini fritters
- baked potatoes
- smear onto sandwiches to substitute mayo
- enjoy it sweet with granola, fruit, & nuts
If you don't own a mesh colander, you can also tie up the cheesecloth and hang it up, hovering above the bowl to collect the whey.
You can also use a special Greek yogurt strainer like this one for less waste and convenience.
- Prep Time: 48 hours
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern