You will love this cream-cheese-based vegan chantilly cream frosting recipe! Perfect for cakes, cupcakes, trifles, or for simply enjoying alongside fruit.
- 2 cups (16 oz; 450 g) vegan cream cheese (See Note)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) vegan unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2.5 g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
*Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature
1. If planning to frost cakes with this recipe, make the vegan chantilly cream as the cakes are cooling down. Start by bringing the vegan cream cheese and butter to room temperature.
2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until smooth. Some vegan cream cheese brands don't smoothen out when warm and get lumpy no matter what temperature you have it at or how long you beat/mix it. If you see lumps, simply blend the frosting until smooth in a blender or in the same bowl with an immersion blender.
3. Taste to see if you think the frosting is sweet enough. I like the contrast of a mildly tart frosting with a sweet cake sponge, therefore the original recipe lists a lower quantity of sugar than usual. If you want to make it sweeter, add more powdered sugar in 25-gram increments, mix, and taste again.
4. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours prior to using. This chantilly frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days before use.
5. Note that cakes made with this frosting can't be left at room temperature or above for longer than 2-3 hours—they will melt down due to the melting cream cheese base. So if there's any leftover cake after cutting it, wrap it with cling wrap and refrigerate.
Vegan Cream Cheese — Best U.S. brands to use for this frosting (or for vegan cheesecakes) are Tofutti, Trader Joe's, Kite Hill, and Simple Truth. Daiya and Violife do not work well so please don't use them in this recipe even if you enjoy their flavor as a spread. Don't forget to bring the vegan cream cheese to room temperature before beating as they are usually firmer than dairy cream cheese like Philadelphia, etc.