You will love this 10-minute Mediterranean bean salad recipe! An easy-to-make, refreshing bean salad, Turkish “piyaz” is all vegan and full of fresh herbs & vegetables. Perfect for busy days when you still want a healthy—yet delicious—meal!
- 2 15-oz cans (500g beans without liquid) white beans (See Notes)
- 2 tablespoons of bean liquid (from can or homecooked broth)
- 1/2 large (200g) red onion (1/8-in, root-to-stem slices)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teapoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sumac (or use 1 teaspoon more lemon juice)
- 2 large (200g) fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch (30g) of parsley leaves, minced
- Place canned white beans along with some of their liquid into a large bowl.
- Add the onion slices (chopped lengthwise), lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and sumac; then mix.
- Add the diced tomatoes and parsley, and lightly toss. Taste and season again if needed.
- Toast a slice of bread on the side or add your favorite grain to make a complete Buddha bowl. Bon appétit!
1. Bean Weight: The listed weight of the beans excludes the bean liquid. Note that most canned beans' listed weight includes the bean liquid.
2. Bean Type: Piyaz is traditionally made with Turkish “dermason” beans but you could use any bean you like. I usually make it with Great Northern or cannellini beans.
3. Slicing Onions: Slicing onions root-to-stem, with a sharp knife, preserves cell structures and makes onions less likely to make you cry thanks to decreased sulfur compounds in the air!
4. Dressing: You could make the dressing in a separate bowl, but don’t have to. The bean liquid really helps with emulsifying the olive oil.
5. EVOO: Use the best olive oil you got! We joined an olive oil club that sends super-fresh (like 3-month-old) EVOO every quarter and it’s been heavenly.
6. Saving Piyaz: Each passing day will make the raw onions taste harsher, so if you don't plan on eating the salad right away—make sure to rinse and pat dry the sliced onions to remove sulfur compounds. You may be able to get away with saving it for 5 days when you apply this additional step!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Turkish, Salads, Lunch, Dinner, Healthy
- Cuisine: Turkish