Homemade fruit rollups with walnuts are the perfect mid-day snack! For this healthy, kid-friendly, two-ingredient recipe, you’ll need only 30 minutes of active prep & cooking time.
- 250 g fresh strawberries (approximately 2 cups whole, See Note 1)
- 45 g California walnuts, minced (approximately 6 tablespoons)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon water (See Note 2)
- Optional: 5 dates, pitted (See Note 3)
- Preheat the oven to 180°F.
- Trim the strawberries and blend them for at least one minute until smooth.
- To cook out the excess water, transfer the blended strawberries to a saucepan and cook on medium for 15 minutes. Stir frequently until the mixture thickens up.
- Add the minced walnuts into the strawberry purée and mix.
- Line a baking pan with a silicone baking mat (e.g. Silpat) or parchment paper. The silicone mat will yield the best-looking, shiniest results.
- Place the fruit & walnut mixture onto the pan and spread it into a rectangle sized approximately 14in by 9in. Spread the leather as thinly as you can with a spatula while still making sure no areas appear transparent.
- Bake in the oven for 4 hours until the leather is only slightly tacky. If the leather still feels sticky, bake for longer.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Carefully peel off the leather and place on a cutting board, then cut into strips with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- Roll the fruit & walnut strips up to serve.
- They will keep for up to a week in an airtight container, longer if perfectly dehydrated. They also make great Mason jar gifts!
- I highly recommend strawberries for this recipe, but you can substitute with pretty much any fruit in the same weight—or even a combination of several. A few suggestions: mango, cherry, blueberry, apricot, nectarine, and peach.
- You may need a very small amount of water to get the blender going. If you find you have to add a lot more to be able to blend, then cook down the mixture for longer.
- For less sweet and more acidic fruits (e.g. apricot), make sure to sweeten with pitted dates or other sweetener of your choice.