Green beans with tomatoes recipe is an easy one-pot dish that is an Aegean classic! My favorite olive-oil dish. Takes less than 15 minutes to put together and will be ready within an hour. Accidentally vegan, gluten-free, and allergen-friendly.
- 2 tbsp cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups green beans, cut into 2” pieces and strings removed
- 5 cups tomatoes, diced (use vine-ripened canned tomatoes if good fresh tomatoes aren’t available)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar (date sugar works as well)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green beans then sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and sugar, then stir. Bring all to a boil and cover the pot.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes. Since some prefer green beans to be more crunchy, start checking for doneness after 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the level of salt if needed. I try not to add too much.
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes. This dish is often served cold in the summer, and warm in the winter months.
- Plant-based yogurt and Turkish rice pilaf are highly recommended on the side. Enjoy!
If cooking green beans from frozen, adjust cooking time accordingly.