Try this easy vegan pumpkin dessert requiring only 3 ingredients! This traditional Turkish recipe is perfect for a cozy fall day. Naturally gluten-free. Sugar-free option included.
- 4 slices* of pumpkin** (a slice is 1.5" by 2.5")
- 3/4 cup sugar (or 1 cup erythritol if avoiding sugar. decrease amount if using a denser variety like butternut squash)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- Arrange pumpkin slices/cut-outs with the cinnamon stick on a roasting pan and sprinkle with sugar. Cover and let it rest in the refridgerator for at least 18 hours.
- To cook, preheat oven to 350F; or turn on low-medium setting for stovetop.
- If using a stovetop instead of an oven, transfer the pumpkins including the juice into a saucepan. For either option, add 1 cup of water.
- If baking in the oven, cover with aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes.
- Afterwards, reduce heat to 325F (or low on stovestop) and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Let it rest at room temperature, then in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Serve with crushed walnuts & tahini, or with clotted cream.
- *You can cut the pumpkin into any shape you wish. The most traditional way is to cut them into long, thick slices as described.
- **If you can find "sugar pumpkins" or "pie pumpkins", they will work best. Second preference would be a butternut squash or a Hubbard squash. If all you have is a jack-o'-lantern pumpkin, this recipe may turn out bland.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes + 18 hours resting
- Cook Time: 1 hour + 2 hours chilling
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook, Bake, Macerate
- Cuisine: Turkish, Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 Pumpkin Slice
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 45.5 g
- Sodium: 12.7 mg
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.8 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pumpkin dessert, vegan, kabak tatlisi, halloween