You won’t regret adding this decadent chocolate oatmeal to your flavor rotation! The rich and creamy recipe is as close as a healthy bowl of oatmeal will get to a piece of chocolate cake.
For the Oatmeal Base:
- 2 cups steel-cut oatmeal
- 4 cups plant milk*
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
Mix-ins per 1.5 Cups of Oatmeal Base:
- 2 tbsp cacao powder,
- 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 1 banana*, mashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- optional: 1/2 cup berries to serve
To Make the Oatmeal Base:
- Add the steel-cut oatmeal to a large pot on medium heat and toast for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and light golden brown.
- Add in the liquids and the salt, and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. At this stage the texture will be creamy but still have a bite to it. If you prefer it to be creamier, simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Save in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer in individual boxes for up to three months.
To Make the Chocolate Oatmeal:
- Add 1.5 cups of the oatmeal base into a bowl, and mix in the cacao powder, mashed banana, and ground flax seeds. Add in the walnuts and mix once more.
- Serve with desired toppings. I love strawberries on this one.
I usually use soymilk from fresh tofu stores or by the brands Silk and Westsoy. For an even richer texture, use canned coconut milk.
Not a fan of banana? You may completely omit it for this recipe.
I recommend adding all the toppings immediately before enjoying this oatmeal, especially the mashed banana.
Keywords: healthy oatmeal breakfast, steel cut oatmeal, groats, creamy oatmeal, toasted oatmeal, vegan breakfast, cacao, banana, vegan