Teleport yourself to the Mediterranean with this delicious beet tzatziki! It is very easy to make and looks as delicious as it tastes. Step-by-step instruction video included.
- 7 small-medium sized beets, washed and scrubbed
- 1 tbsp* extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 cup plant-based yogurt*
- 1/3 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- optional: dried mint; nigella and sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash the beets, then pat dry and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil on each beet, then roast them in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Simply check if they’re soft enough with a fork.
- Cool the beets until you can peel and grate them.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the minced garlic and squeeze the lemon directly onto the garlic, and set aside for a few minutes.
- Mix in the plant-based yogurt with the garlic, then add in the beets.
- Top with dried mint, nigella & sesame seeds, and additional olive oil if you wish.
Feel free to use as much olive oil as you wish. Up to 3 tablespoons (per the original recipe) will make it taste even better, provided that you like the taste of olive oil.
If using store-bought plant-based yogurt, go with an unflavored and unsweetened variety, preferably not coconut as it lands too much of its own flavor. I love using Kite Hill and Forager.